28 February 2011

The details. And tea.

Phew! Turned in applications for the AU Global Education Grant as well as the Gilman International Scholarship today... hoping they will help fund my London year. I totalled up my budget... approximately $30,000 for me to study, eat, have a room, and travel. It's funny: overall it will be cheaper than Ashland, but since my grants through the AU don't transfer (DUMB) it'll be harder to pay for. Such a shame...

But one mustn't get caught up in all those technical details. I've decided happiness in poverty is infinitely better than misery in comfort. So I'll be a poor little thing upon graduating, but no matter. Perhaps I'll meet a wealthy Englishman who can cover the debt out of love for me. Or maybe I'll write a bestseller. Who knows.

On a more important note, I've decided I must learn to enjoy tea in order to fully embrace British culture.

"The British have an umbilical cord which has never been cut and through which tea flows constantly. It is curious to watch them in times of sudden horror, tragedy or disaster. The pulse stops apparently, and nothing can be done, and no move made, until "a nice cup of tea" is quickly made. There is no question that it brings solace and does steady the mind. What a pity all countries are not so tea-conscious. World-peace conferences would run more smoothly if "a nice cup of tea", or indeed, a samovar were available at the proper time." - Marlene Dietrich

This tea thing could be more difficult than paying off my monstrous debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment